Guidelines for Registration as a Citizen of Guyana
If one or both of your parents are Guyanese citizens and you were born overseas, you are entitled to register your birth as a Guyanese citizen. You will be able to exercise your full rights as a citizen of Guyana when your birth is registered.
At least one (1) parent whose name is recorded on the Foreign Birth Certificate MUST be a GUYANESE.
• Registrant must be born after May 26, 1966.
• Person to be registered must appear in person along with the documents outlined below.
• Original Birth Certificate of the Registrant will be retained.
Payment of Rand 460 (for persons residing in South Africa) or US$30 (for persons residing out of South Africa) must be made to the Mission’s Revenue Account and Proof of Payment submitted with the application.
Account Name: High Commission of the Republic of Guyana – Revenue
Bank Name/Address: Standard Bank (South Africa) Hatfield,
Standard Plaza 440 Hilda Street Hatfield, Pretoria
Account Number: 333122380
Branch Name: Hatfield
Branch Code: 01-1545
Swift No: SBZAZAJJ
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED TO REGISTER AS A GUYANESE BY DESCENT
• Original Birth Certificate of the person being registered
• Original Birth Certificate of parent(s) of registrant
• Original Marriage Certificate of parents (if married)
• Valid photo identification of person effecting the registration
• If that person is not the parent, a duly notarized authorization should also be produced
• Births not registered in English must be accompanied by an official translation.
The filled-in Registration of Overseas Birth Form
• On completion of the registration, contact will be made with the applicant.
• On receipt of the Registration Certificate, a check should be made to ensure that all of the information recorded is correct. If any errors are detected, return the Certificate to the High Commission for amendment.
• A copy of the Registration Certificate will be forwarded to the General Register Office (GRO) in Guyana for its records.
On receipt of the Certificate of Registration of Birth, the registrant becomes eligible to apply for a Guyana passport.